Friday, March 4, 2011

My Own Stuff Christians Like Post

Jon Acuff has a hilarious blog called Stuff Christians Like, about many of the funny things done in Christian culture. He writes about metrosexual worship leaders, the holiness of Chic-Fil-A, and the awkwardness of being single in church, among other topics. It's a pretty great site for a good laugh (although, he does have "serious Wednesday" post as well).

The other day my husband and I were running errands, and we were talking about some of the big decisions we have coming up. He's applied to several different graduate schools for architecture (and we just found out he got into the University of Texas at Austin). We'll soon be deciding where to move our little family or if we should stay here (if he gets into grad school at UVA). We're also contemplating what the next steps should be for me in my career, and when we might like to start a family. Needless to say, being two different people, our opinions are not always identical.

I asked him specifically what he'd been praying for in some of these areas, in order to determine whether I needed to "shot-block" some of his prayers and begin praying the opposite to cancel out his requests. (I thought I might even pray for what I wanted a few extra times in order to get my way, because clearly God say yes to the person who asks the most.) He answered my question about how he'd been praying, and followed with "but I always pray 'Your will be done' and ask God to do his will." To me, it sounded like a SCL post.

I grew up in an old country church where the Lord's Prayer was recited weekly, so "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done" is firmly planted in my mind. I also know that when Jesus was praying in the garden He asked God to take the cup from Him, but prayed the Father's will above His own. The will of the Father was of upmost importance in Christ's prayer, and let's be honest, who is a better example of how to pray than Jesus?

However, I frequently catch myself begging, and pleading with God to give me what I want. It sounds a little something like this "Please let JP get into UVA. I don't want to have to move and be half-way across the country. I think it would really hurt my parents for me to be so far away. I also love my church and the friends I have here. I really really want to stay. Please please please" and then I tack onto the end, as an afterthought "not my will but thine be done". It sounds a lot like Jesus and makes me feel a little less guilty about praying for my own way.

Am I the only one who does this? I'm betting not. I think we Christians like to pray for our own way, but add a "thy will" clause, somehow thinking we are appeasing God. We tend to think that we know what's best and we have things under control. Once we have figured out our own will, we plead with God to follow suit.

The error in this is our thinking that our will could possibly be better than the will of God and our lack of trust that God has our best interest at heart. The Bible tells us that God has good plans for us, and that everything works together for good for those who love the Lord. God has it under control and "He is able to do exceedingly, abundantly above all that we could ask or think" (Ephesians 3:20). I am going to try to flip-flop my prayers and petition and plead with God for his will, which is better than anything I could ever hope for or imagine. I want to press in and ask him to have his way with my life, with a strong faith that it will be for my good. Then in closing, perhaps I'll throw in "by the way, I'd love it if ____".

3 comments:

April said...

I think that we all try to 'bargain' with God. It's human nature to want our ways. But, as you seem to see, that God knows what we need more than we do ourselves. Sometimes things happen that we didn't ask for but more so of what was seen fit for us at the time. We don't always know at the time why prayers were answered the way they were, but later the answer becomes more apparent. Good luck!

Sydney said...

Dear Mary-
Youre not the only one. I, too, am hoping that yall don't move to Texas. Unless that means youre going to find a single and attractive cowboy and send him my way.
Second, while this was a really great and insightful post, I was kind of hoping youd have a list of stuff christians like. Can you think of a really funny one to post? please? thanks : )

Unknown said...

I love this :)