Monday, August 8, 2011

I'm even hormonal in my sleep...

Pregnancy sure is an adventure. In addition to the mid-night trips to the bathroom that lead to musings about Adam Sandler films, there is heartburn, a growing belly, a ridiculous decline in my ability to tolerate heat, and ninja movements happening from my insides. JP and I have been enjoying the ride thus far - though, to make it through to the end he's informed me he may need a parka and a wool hat. Temperatures keep dropping in this house y'all - the current night time setting is either 67 or 68, and sometimes I still wake up hot.

Anyhow, one of the most interesting parts of pregnancy to me is the hormones. I haven't been totally crazy, but I've had my moments. My advice for those who have to cope with and support pregnant ladies is this: whatever you do, do not, I repeat, DO NOT tell a woman "it's just hormones" in the middle of a hormonal episode. That will just increase the problem and lengthen the amount of time it takes for her to return to her normal state. Once she's past the breakdown, she'll realize it for herself (at least, this has been the case for me). It's best to wait until she's confessed her actions to be the result of hormones and then gently agree with her. If you're a bit more daring, you can kindly ask if you think it may be hormone related, long after she's past being emotional. (If she says no, say something like, "oh, ok" and back off the topic, quickly). My dear hubs has learned these tricks of the trade pretty fast and we're surviving the hormones without any damage - just some funny, and blog-worthy stories. Here are some of my favorite occurrences that I am officially blaming on hormones. (See, now, after the fact, I am fully able to laugh at them - at the time these episodes were NOT funny. AT ALL.)

Last week I made a meal and was missing an ingredient. JP told me that it didn't taste the same/as good without it. I burst into tears because to me this translated to "I don't appreciate you or think you do a good enough job cooking".

On my way back from the beach with my family, I got off schedule in my eating. When I was talking to JP on the phone I informed him that this would impact our dinner plans to go to the Blue Ridge Pig for barbeque, since I wouldn't be hungry. He said he was disappointed. Cue tears. I bawled and responded "I can't make anyone happy."

A few weeks ago we were at Sam's Club, shopping for things for the hospitality ministry at our church. I saw something called the "Giggle Wiggle Pregnancy Journal" and thought it would be a great way to record special moments from the pregnancy. I mentioned wanting it to JP and he was like, "really?" (not over the moon giddy like I was). I promptly began to cry, told him it was obvious he didn't care about our baby at all, took the car key and stormed out of Sam's. (Not one of my finer moments, I know). Dear husband went ahead and purchased the journal - he gave it to me after I'd calmed down.

Last night it was 10 something and JP said he was tired. We hadn't had much time for the two of us all day, because his fam had been over for a cookout. I asked if we could play Settlers or do some other fun/interactive activity to spend time together, but he said he was really tired. I was convinced that "I'm tired" was some kind of code for "I don't want to spend time with you" so I cried and then went to sleep. I thought I'd be in a better mood when I woke up - not quite.

I'm hormonal in my sleep too. I know it sounds crazy, but I am. Today I met the hubs for lunch downtown (we ate at the Nook - inside, because that's where the air conditioning is). JP asked me if I remembered talking to him this morning. I didn't, at all. He informed me that I turned over, and said "I blame you". Unsure what I was talking about, he asked "For what?" My reply was a grouchy "EVERYTHING!" and then I turned back over and went to sleep.

Pregnancy sure is a funny thing.


1 comment:

JP said...

Don't worry, I still love you.