Friday, September 14, 2012

Charlotte Week 1 Recap

So, I've been in Charlotte about a week and a half, but tomorrow marks one week of it being "just the three of us" here in our own apartment.  I don't think I'm being dramatic when I say it's been the hardest week I can remember in a long time.  For someone who has never lived more than 30 minutes from her hometown and family, this is a big deal.  I thought I'd document some of the good (because, there IS good in this) and the bad of the experience so far.

In order to end on a good note, let's start with the bad:

- It is SOOOOO hard to be a stay at home mom in a brand new city, especially when your husband is an insanely busy graduate student.  Not only are most of my days spent with a 9 month old and a dog, my nights are lonely too.  Two nights this week, the hubs didn't get home until after midnight (stupid A-school deadlines) and the nights he was here, he was slammed with reading and assignments, so it was still pretty lonely.  I want to hold up a sign that says "will work for friends" or something.  It's so sad.

-  I don't love my apartment.  It's fine, and I like the inside a lot, but the location isn't my favorite, and I'm not thrilled to be in an apartment again.  Still, I'm trying to be thankful for what I have, which is a wonderful opportunity to be home with my son.  Contentment is a hard thing sometimes - I'm working on it.

The good:

- A lot of the people in this area are different from me.  Racially, age wise, life stage, etc.  I was in a grocery store the other day where I'm pretty sure was the only white girl.  This is challenging me to step out of my comfort zone and get to know people who might not be just like me.  Speaking of which, at a Weight Watchers meeting today, this almost sixty year old lady invited me to go to a Zumbathon with her next week at the YMCA (1 hr of water zumba (who knew such a thing existed) and an hour of regular zumba).  In Charlottesville, I probably would have passed, I'd have "better things to do" or my own friends to hang out with.  Most likely, I'm going to go - not like I have a full social calendar.

- I'm not there yet, honestly, but I see the potential for a lot of dependence on God, and letting him be enough.  I also see the possibility for a ton of growth in my ability to love and serve my husband and family.  I have more time and we have our own place - I can keep it clean(ish), make yummy and healthy meals, do laundry, etc. and try to keep all of those things off my husband's plate (which, I struggled with a lot when I was teaching).  So, depend on God, love and serve my family and try to make relationships with others - that's the opportunity here.

- There is a Trader Joes less than 2 miles from my house, and in the same shopping center is a frozen yogurt place.  And today, they had a "fill a 12 oz cup with yogurt/toppings for $1" deal going on.  So, I went to the grocery store and got yogurt and it made. my. day.  Sometimes, it's the little things.

No comments: