Saturday, October 13, 2012

I love my life!

Lately, I have struggled a lot with contentment.  It's difficult to be in a new city, especially one that I wasn't excited about moving to from the beginning, as a new mom who is at home with a 10 month old most of the day every day.  It's been a challenge to adjust to a (much) smaller place and to go from owning a townhouse to renting an apartment.  I also haven't loved JP being on a student schedule.  I know that, in reality, I'm tremendously blessed in so many ways.  But often, I struggle to see that.

Well, I saw it today.

Today was what JP and I jokingly referred to as my "spoil" day.  A few weeks ago, we were talking about me being at home, and he said he felt like he was getting spoiled with lots of yummy meals, a clean house, his lunch being made, etc.  I jokingly asked when I get to be spoiled and we decided I could have a "spoil" day for my birthday.  My parents were in town on my actual birthday, and then we were both getting ready for trips out of town, so today was the big day.

JP asked me what I wanted to do and said that anything I wanted (well, within budgetary limitations) was fair game.  I could get out for some shopping, get a pedicure, he'd cook every meal and do all the dishes - the sky was the limit.

I pondered for a while, trying to think of what to do to get the most out of the day (I mean, how often does an offer like this come around?).  I settled on a just a few small things pretty quickly - I wanted an uninterrupted night's sleep, complete with the ability to sleep in (ie. JP give Eli a bottle when he woke) and JP to cook/clean dinner (stir fry).  I decided to play the rest of the day by ear.

I went to sleep around midnight last night, and woke up around 5:45 puzzled that Eli hadn't gotten up (since he went down at 6:45).  I tossed and turned until 6:30, waiting for him to get up to eat, but he never did.  Even though I didn't have to feed him, I wanted to.  This surprised me.  The sleep that I had longed for didn't seem as important when I really wanted to snuggle my little munchkin.

Eli slept extra late (8:30!) and I did feed him when I got up (a little before 9).  Then, I went to a weight watchers meeting solo and came home.  JP said he was about to put him to bed, and I jumped in, offering to do it.

Once he went down for the nap, the hubs inquired as to what I'd decided to do - the shopping trip?  a pedicure?  what.  Instead of some "time away", I opted for lunch at Chipotle, with my boys, and then some frozen yogurt.  We took a stroll through the park, and sat on a rock to eat the yogurt, while Eli enjoyed crawling through the grass.  We came home, and all three went down for an afternoon nap.  Then, JP made dinner while I worked on organizing some photos.

It hasn't been a glamorous day, and really, it hasn't been much different than how lots of days are spent, except having JP around more and his cooking/cleaning.  But, honestly, I didn't want it to be much different.  I love my life.  I love my husband so much, and I adore our sweet little boy.  I enjoy being with them more than anything in the world, and there is nothing else I'd really prefer to do.  Even on my spoil day.

(Disclaimer:  Since it was my "spoil" day, I may have sent JP to the grocery store for some white cheddar popcorn.....)


No comments: