Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Confession... I'm deciding Eli's favorite sport for him.

I always said that I wouldn't pressure Eli to do things just because I want him to.  You know, like play a particular instrument or participate in a certain sport.  I felt very strongly that those choices should be his.  I still feel that way.  I won't force my desires on him, or any other future children, but will leave him (them) to make their own decisions.

Except..... I really REALLY want him to play baseball.  

I didn't even realize this was a hope and dream of mine until a Facebook friend (and former student's parent) posted pictures of Cove Creek.  I love Love LOVE me some spring baseball at Cove Creek y'all.  I'm not sure what it is, but there's something about spending a spring day in the bleachers, overlooking the baseball field, listening to those silly songs kids sing in the dugouts.  There, the nachos and hamburgers taste better, and eating them doesn't induce the same amount of guilt as having the same foods somewhere else.  And let's not even get started on how stinkin cute a little boy looks in a baseball uniform.  

I've always hoped that our kiddos would play a sport (if they want to), as one of my biggest regrets is NOT.  I decided in 9th grade that I wanted to play volleyball, but at that point, the people going out for the team had been playing together for years, and I was just a girl who enjoyed the unit in P.E.  I was a chicken and never even tried out.  I always wished I'd played some sport, and I like to think Eli will.

But, let's be honest - despite my love for NFL (and even more so for college football) the sport kind of scares me.  It's not exactly the safest, and the thought of Eli getting tackled sends chills up my mama spine.  It'd be pretty exciting if he were good and actually got to play some college ball one day, but I feel like those chances aren't as good as the chance of him getting seriously hurt.  So, I'd kind of like to cross that one off of the list (and pray that Eli never asks to put it back on).  Then there's soccer, which, unfortunately I find terribly, terribly boring to watch.  I suppose if Eli asks to play I'll rejoice that he didn't request football, but it's still not my top choice.

I could settle for basketball.  Maybe Eli will continue to stay above the curve height wise and be tall like his Daddy.  I can get into a basketball game a heck of a lot easier than a soccer one, and there are still bleachers (albeit not outside in the warm spring sun).  So that could be a compromise.

But really, I've kind of got my heart set on baseball.  (To the extent that when looking for a little "basket" for Eli's first Easter egg hunt this weekend, I almost got the plush baseball one, you know, to steer things in my direction.  However, the hubs convinced me that this wasn't my call to make and that was a little ridiculous.  Le sigh).  

We've got a while before he figures this out, so we'll see what happens.  It'll be my luck that he'll want football in the fall and soccer in the spring.  Which, I suppose means we'll have to keep having babies.  Eventually one of them will want to play baseball (or softball).  Right?

No comments: