Tuesday, July 17, 2012

B is for...

This is the second post in my Christmas in July series - looking at the names and characteristics of God by going through the A,B,Cs.  Here is the introduction and explanation, and the first post "A is for..".  Onto the letter B.

I couldn't think of/find as many with the letter B, but the three I did were more than enough.

Bread of Life
John 6:35  "Then Jesus declared, 'I am the bread of life.  Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in my will never be thirst.'"
I love this!  When I am overwhelmed by life and things like finances (which is what happens when you are on a grad student/stay-at-home mom budget), I need to remind myself that Jesus is my provision, and He is more than enough.  Certainly he is not talking about physical bread here, though he does supply our physical needs.  He is also our bread of life - our provision and portion for salvation.  He meets our deepest needs - our spiritual need for a savior.  


Beautiful
Psalm 27:4  "One thing I ask of the Lord, this only do I seek; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple."
I know that I don't understand the beauty of the Lord nearly as well as David did, but I want to.  If I did understand, like him, it would be the thing I sought with my whole self.  He IS beautiful and worthy to be pursued.  The gospel is such a lovely mystery - that God would give his Son for us, despite the messes that we are.  What a beautiful God!


Bountiful
Jeremiah 31:12a "They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion; they will rejoice in the bounty of the Lord."
God is such an abundant provider!  Psalm 68:10 says "from your bounty , God, you provided for the poor."  He has so much to offer us out of his bounty.  I am overwhelmed with how he provided for my little family financially (through JP's grad school offer and the sale of our house).  But he provides much more than that.  He is full of grace, mercy, forgiveness and love - ready to rain it down upon those who seek Him.


What an amazing God!  It is such a joy to learn more about Him and reflect on his character.  He is so good!

No comments: