Wednesday, July 18, 2012

C is for...

Comforter/Compassionate
2 Corinthians 1:3-4 "Praise to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in our troubles, so that we can comfort those with any trouble with the comfort we ourselves received from God."
When I was first thinking about this little series and quickly going through the ABCs in my head, comforter was the first C name I thought of for God.  He really is such a source of comfort to us - if only we will let Him!  I often struggle with not inviting God in and allowing to comfort me when I need it.  Instead, I think I have to take care of things myself (at least, that's what I try to do).  I'm going to try to stop doing that and rely on the Father of compassion instead.  He cares about our troubles and our hurts and wants to come alongside us and help with them.


Creator
Genesis 14:19  "And he blessed Abram saying, 'Blessed be Abram by Most High God, creator of Heaven and Earth."
"In the beginning, He created.."  God created all there is and all there will ever be.  My small group at church a few years ago did an apologetic study looking at reasons frequently given for disbelief in God.  To dispute one such reason, the author explained the likelihood of creation coming into existence 'by chance'.  The odds are significantly better that I'd win the lottery than they are for all life-sustaining conditions to be present and then even more unlikely is the chance that "something would happen" to cause this life to be.  It's not chance.  Creation is the result of an amazing creator.  How great is our God?


Close
Psalm 34:18  "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit."
My husband and I have talked frequently about falling into the temptation of believing that God is a distant God.  It's easy to think that He is simply a big God, who set the world in motion and is now far removed from his creation.  Nothing is farther from the truth.  God is relational and cares deeply about us - and he is close.  That overwhelms my heart and mind.  The God of the universe is close to me.  I can hardly wrap my head around it!


Counselor
Isaiah 9:6  "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.  He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
This verse gives me a head start on some other names and characteristics of God!  The Holy Spirit is also often referred to as the Counselor - and I'm so grateful God knew us enough to know our need for wise counsel and guidance.  I know that I should certainly seek it more often that I do.  The Bible says "we don't have because we don't ask."  I need to start asking for more counsel from the Lord.


Christ/Crucified
1 Corinthians 2:2 "I resolved to know nothing while I was with you, except Jesus Christ and him crucified."
Jesus is the Christ - the long awaited Messiah.  Of course, I have come to know that he was a different (better) messiah than what was expected by the Jewish people.  While they hoped for one who would come and deliver them from military  and governmental oppression, they received a Christ who is able to save their very souls and deliver them from oppression and bondage to sin.  His crucifixion means that sin is atoned for - the debt is paid - our stains our gone.  Paul is right - knowing Christ and him crucified is enough.  


So - I kind of cheated today with combining a few names - but they went together well and I didn't have a whole lot of time (I do have an almost 8 month old to take care of).  Today I think close and comfort(er) resonated most with me.  As I get ready to move to a new city, with a new and different budget, where I will be at home with my son and won't know anyone, I am terrified (post on that coming soon).  It is wonderful to know that my Almighty Abba Father, who as the Bread of Life is my provision, is close enough to be my compassionate comforter.  

No comments: