Friday, July 13, 2012

A is for...

This is the first of my Christmas (Advent) in July series.  If you missed the introduction, go back and read that here.

A is for....

Abba Father:
Romans 8:15 "The Spirit you have received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you have received brought about your adoption to sonship, and by him we cry, "Abba, Father."
I've learned that "Abba" means something akin to Papa, or Daddy.  This name of God has always been meaningful to me, but I think it's sweetness has grown in my heart since having my own child.  Seeing my husband be such a wonderful daddy to our son, makes me marvel at God's goodness.  He is a perfect Daddy, who loves his children more than we can imagine or comprehend.  My husband and I have talked frequently about how special a parent's love is - it is unconditional.  Eli didn't do anything to earn our love (though he is really stinkin cute), and yet, we love him more than anything. So it is with God.  We don't have to earn his love - and we can't lose it.  What a blessing!

Alpha
Revelation 22:13 "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End."
(Perhaps I should have started with this one...)  God was, and is, and is to come.  He is outside of the realm of time.  This is really mind blowing whenever I think about it, and overwhelms with with just how great He really is.

Almighty
Revelation 19:6  "Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud pearls of thunder, shouting, 'Halellujah, For the Lord God Almighty reigns'".
In the midst of a crazy world, it is such a wonderful blessing to have the assurance that God is Almighty, and in control.  This has been particularly helpful during this time of transition.  As I worry about the fact that we don't know anyone in Charlotte, we currently don't have a place to live, and we will be on a rice and beans budget (grad student and stay at home mom), it is such a source of comfort to know that our God is Almighty and He is in control.


Able
Ephesians 3:20-21 "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work in us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever, amen!"
This verse pretty much says everything and doesn't leave much room for commentary.  God is able - period.  He is able to do more than all we ask or can imagine.  He is Able.  He is Almighty.  


Alive
Acts 1:3  "After his suffering, he presented himself to them and gave many convincing proofs he was alive.  He appeared to them over a period of forty days and he spoke about the Kingdom of God."
God is not dead, He is Alive.  If Jesus hadn't been raised from the dead, our faith is in vain (1 Corinthians 15:14).  Because he conquered sin and death and was raised again, we can have hope for the same if we are His children.  Praise God that we don't serve a dead savior.  We serve one who is living and ever intercedes for us (Hebrews 7:25)


Attentive
1 Peter 3:12a "For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer..."
Isn't it amazing that the God of the universe is attentive?  He doesn't just hear our prayers, he attends to them - he is interested, he cares!  What an amazing blessing!


Authority 
Matthew 28:18 "Then Jesus said, "All authority on heaven and earth has been given to me."
God (the Father, Son and Holy Spirit) is our authority on all things.  We should live as he says.  I am slowly learning this doesn't just mean following a list of rules - it means depending on Him.  AND the guidelines He has given us in scripture are FOR OUR GOOD.  He loves us as children (He's our Abba Father) and He has our best interest at heart.  We should rejoice in living under his authority.


Awesome
Deuteronomy 7:21  "Do not be terrified by them, for the Lord you God, who is among you, is a great and awesome God."
Enough said.

What a blessing it has been to see and reflect on God's names and his character.  And this is just day one!  I am looking forward to learning more about him as we go throughout the rest of the alphabet.


I'm curious - which is most meaningful to you right now? (I'd have to go with either Abba or Able!)  Any "A" ones I forgot?  Let me know if you're reading along.


*Edit:  I forgot Adonai, which is transliterated Lord, and means master, owner, or sovereign ruler.  What is incredibly interesting is that in addition to noting the exalted position of God, it also stresses man's relationship with God (showing God as his master, authority and provider.  I find it so wonderful to know in His name is included his relationship with men!  We are so blessed!
I also forgot Atonement.  Jesus is the atonement for our sins!  He pays the price for them and allows us to be "at-one" with God.


No comments: